Specific Purpose: To help people to understand what Audism is and that the lack of an ability to hear does not mean they are incapable of performing tasks.
Central idea: I’m going to talk about Audism and what it is, were it happens and why it needs to stop, it happens in Schools, The workplace and right in your community.
Attention Getter: Everyone has felt Different at some point in our lives, in school or out with our friends at the mall. However, for some people it is not only a feeling of being different but of being perceived as different.
Today, I am going to be talking about Audism. For most people, I’m will to bet this is a word you have never heard of. Partly because it is a concept that most people don’t even consider, it is the discrimination of Deaf individuals by the Hearing community.
We all had a time when we were treated differently, for most of us High school was littered with these moments. Maybe you were labeled a jock, or a mean girl, a goth or a geek. Each of these labels lead to bring treated differently somehow, however for many of us this was just a faze, something we grew out of after high school. However, Deafness is not something that you grow out of, anymore then you can grow out of your skin.
Today I’m going to tell you stories of prejudice, discrimination and hate and when you leave here not only will you know the meaning of Audism but also what to look for and hopefully one person at a time how to stop it.
Transition: Firstly, I want to talk to you about our communities, yours, mine and our family’s….
Body: I want to tell you a story, it’s a stories of something that happened to me and some friends of mine on a camping trip that was meant to teach us about the Deaf...
... middle of paper ...
... someone from Mexico who celebrates the day of the dead. It is a difference, and to expect students to breed the lips of their teachers in a language they will never truly understand, or expect them to get cochlear implants even if they don’t want them simply because then they could maybe here. This is unfair and it means that these students, are not getting the same education as they are hearing counterparts, simply because they speak a different language, the language of the deaf, sign language.
So I challenge you, if you see this kind of discrimination no matter how small it may seem. Stand up, and do something about it like I did at that pizza parlor. Together as a community, we can slowly start changing the perspective of what the deaf community is. We can make sure that every child, gets a quality education regardless of audiological differences. Thank you.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Tax Man January, February, March and then... April, the dreaded month when all of the United States citizens seem to loose their heads. Why. A simple answer; Uncle Sam is ready for his annual review of whether he has taken too much or not enough, that is right it is tax time. Tax preparation is a daunting task that just about every American participates in. In this paper will be taking a journey on what alternative options are available and why it is better for your wallet to investigate those options rather than following the crowd and getting them done professionally.... [tags: Taxation in the United States]
1191 words (3.4 pages)
- Introduction War and diplomacy, what is it and what does is it do. From the time of the creation people have been in a struggle for removing the opposing group from their way just because there is a conflict of opposing idea that can’t be solved for some unanswerable reasons, therefore this leads to massive wars that spread from one place to another that advances damage through decades such as WW1 and WW2. In 1871 Prussia a state of Germany overpowered France in war to structure the German empire and take two French territories Alsace and Lorraine with 200 million francs as war damage to Germany, with this attainments the citizens of both sides were influenced on negative effect of their go... [tags: World War I, World War II, Treaty of Versailles]
2021 words (5.8 pages)
- Industrial and Organizational Psychology Industrial- Organizational Psychology also referred to as I/O is the scientific study of human behavior within organizations (American Psychological Association, n.d). A few areas that I/O psychology seeks to address include recruiting, training and development, performance measures, motivation, rewards, human factors, as well as organizational development and consumer behavior (American Psychological Association, n.d). I/O psychology seeks to focus on human behavior specifically in the workplace setting.... [tags: Management]
1581 words (4.5 pages)
- Selective termination of pregnancy is a case where Ms Q has been trying to get pregnant and uses a fertility drug to help her. The fertility drug she takes increases the incidence of multiple births from 1 percent to 8 percent. Ms Q becomes pregnant and at nine weeks gestation an ultrasound reveals that she has triplets. After hearing this Ms Q wants to terminate two of them and keep one. She decides this because she wants a child but doesn 't feel capable of caring for more than one. If she cannot do a selective termination she then wants to abort all of them.... [tags: Pregnancy, Abortion, Multiple birth, Fetus]
1038 words (3 pages)
- Work for Tuition Program Brya1 is an eighteen-year-old, recent high school honors graduate. Her life should be filled with hope for the future, but this is sadly not the case. Instead of fielding college acceptance letters and contemplating scholarship opportunities, Brya is fielding orders at a local Starbucks and contemplating how she can earn the money she needs for college. Not wanting to fix cups of coffee at minimum wage for the rest of her life, Brya finally opted to go into the military until a college education is within her financial reach.... [tags: Higher education, College, University]
1396 words (4 pages)
- The breach by a member of a profession of either a standard of care or a standard of conduct. The typical malpractice deals with the tort of negligence by the professional. Negligence is conduct that falls below the legally established standard for the protection of others against unreasonable risk of harm. Under negligence law a person must violate a reasonable standard of care (Danzon, 2010). Medical malpractice is professional negligence by act or omission by a health care provider in which the treatment provided falls below the accepted standard of practice in the medical community and causes injury or death to the patient, with most cases involving medical error (Michelle, 2014).... [tags: Patient, Health care provider, Health care]
1073 words (3.1 pages)
- Atheistic Argument against God In the past, and still among many religious people, it was/is believed that God is powerful, good, loving, and all-knowing. Atheists claim that such a God, if existed, would not punish his people by letting evil acts happen. Some theists respond by saying that God loves us and He lets evil acts happen because sometimes such an evil is important for us to keep us on the right path, other religious people claim that God gives us freedom to do evil, and without existence of evil, we would have no freedom.... [tags: God, Atheism, Theology, Existence]
1375 words (3.9 pages)
- Responding to Ethical/Moral Dilemmas Quality early childhood educators are individuals whose teaching and learning pedagogies are based on values and beliefs that lead to caring and positive relationships, embedded in trust and high standards of professional ethics (Boon, 2011). Creating this type of individual requires educators to adopt the necessary skills, which will enable them to meet the diverse academic, social and emotional needs of all children. Since diversity is guaranteed in all educational settings, educators will often encounter various ethical challenges and dilemmas when interrelating with children, parents and even colleagues, thus making it integral for educators to develo... [tags: Childhood, Child, Early childhood education]
1222 words (3.5 pages)
- What is a family. To many people, this question is easy. People that are blood related and share the same beliefs. Now a day a family is a group of people that love and care for one another. There are many different types of families in America. One of the types of families is same-sex parent families. Gay and lesbian families are when two people of the same-sex starting a family. Some usually were married to the opposite sex before. Gay and lesbian families are more growing than people think. There are many more gay and lesbian partners and they are starting families.... [tags: Homosexuality, Sexual orientation, LGBT]
910 words (2.6 pages)
- Articles and Community Resources Part 1 The three articles I found are Here’s why I stayed with an abusive partner for 11 years and Family Violence Doesn’t Discriminate- But Biased Systems do, Understanding Sibling Sexual Abuse Through a Feminist Lens. The first article I read was the “Family Violence Doesn’t Discriminate- But Biased Systems do” tells about a lady and her boyfriend abused drugs.... [tags: Child abuse, Abuse, Domestic violence]
1481 words (4.2 pages)