For the millennials it is hard to imagine having to scour newspaper want ads for a job let alone having to apply in person by filling out a paper application. Technology has come a long way in the last fifteen years. Today when looking for a job one only has to go to their computers where they will find thousands of job opportunities globally. With all of the advantages that the internet brings to the business world, there are also dangers to the ethical wellbeing in our workplace for both the employer and employee. There are ethical vulnerabilities as an applicant, employee and employer within the social media world.
As an applicant in modern times, there are virtual job boards such as Monster, CarreerBuilder, Indeed and many more. These job boards give the applicant the opportunity to create/publish their resume and profile online. Also there are the Social Networking sites such as Linked-In and Plaxo where individuals create profiles that includes what position-job title along with a person’s responsibilities. All of the sites allow the applicants to search for the perfect job opportunity while the companies can search for the perfect candidate. Seems like a win-win situation for both parties. However, what an applicant needs to understand is that once your presence is available publically, the validity is securitized continually.
According to one of The Wall Street Journal articles, by John Weber titled Should Companies Monitor Their Employees’ Social Media? states that according to a “2013 CareerBuilder survey, 39% of employers dig into candidates on social sites, while 43% said they had found something that made them deep-six a candidate, where 19% said they found information th...
... middle of paper ...
...ctive support of senior management, ethics initiatives are doomed” (Trevino, 2014). One of the top ways senior Leadership can drive the ethical culture is by high visible communication and consistency of standards.
In closing, realistically it is not only the perception of the newest generation of what is ethical, but the entire ethical culture. Technology of today’s and future’s world, it does not matter which role you play: applicant, employee or employer ethics and privacy are always intertwined. Rule of thumb as referenced in our text on page 59 “always us the quick-check New York Times test (the disclosure rule)” (Trevino, 2014) as once you have posted any communications, tweets, pictures etc. on a public forum, this information is forever recorded. With this in mind, any of that information can be retrieved and used in a legal manner for or against you.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Social Media and Journalism In today 's world, news is a nonstop 24/7 reel of stories and events which tends to make people feel a certain way about society, democracy and themselves. The problem with that is stories get taken out of context, and used in such a way to promote ideas and concepts that are not entirely rooted in truth. Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat are a secondary source for news which increases the tendency for taking news stories and the event out of context for both malicious and sometimes beneficial intent.... [tags: Journalism, Mass media, Democracy, News media]
1555 words (4.4 pages)
- Mykel Gleez Social Media Essay Business Communication The importance of communication has been studied and researched for several years because the effects of it, if done effectively can be extremely productive but if not, it can be a disaster. Today communication is conducted through several outlets and technology challenges us to improve our techniques and learn new methods to accomplish a successful communication process. As humans, oral tradition or word of mouth has been, I believe the most important way of communicating our message and get it across individual or a group but with time and development and today we face easier and faster ways getting our content out there.... [tags: Communication, Mobile phone, Mass media]
1221 words (3.5 pages)
- Social Media and Ethics in the Workplace For the millennials it is hard to imagine having to scour newspaper want ads for a job let alone having to apply in person by filling out a paper application. Technology has come a long way in the last fifteen years. Today when looking for a job one only has to go to their computers where they will find thousands of job opportunities globally. With all of the advantages that the internet brings to the business world, there are also dangers to the ethical wellbeing in our workplace for both the employer and employee.... [tags: Ethics, Business ethics]
1108 words (3.2 pages)
- Social Media Policy For M.B. Kahn Employees The purpose of this policy is to help ensure a safe and productive workplace and to protect M.B. Kahn’s reputation with clients, and the business community. This policy also serves as a safeguard to prevent the accidental release of trade secrets or other confidential information. Also this policy is in place to reduce the potential liability from third party lawsuits. In order to help guide employees M.B. Kahn has come up with a social media policy to prevent damaging employee posts.... [tags: Employment, Collective bargaining]
715 words (2 pages)
- 3.1: Social media channels. The most effective social media solution and tool is Facebook. Through analysing the decision making matrix it becomes obvious that Facebook was ranked above all other social media choices and was the highest in all of the criteria’s. In addition to this, Facebook has the most number of people connecting on it throughout the world. 3.2: Recommendations. With technology advancements and everything moving online, social media has now become the most used form of advertisement for businesses.... [tags: Advertising, Social media, Facebook, Mass media]
1368 words (3.9 pages)
- 4 Ways to Make Sure Your Social Media Content Schedule Works A social media manager managing a company’s social media accounts can very well understand how dynamic it is to manage them. It’s very crucial to keep pace with the changing algorithm updates, and deliver the influential contents which followers can enjoy and find relevant to them and their interest. Also, it’s important to give the most engaging contents to keeping pace with the follower trends and interests. For sure, social media management is quite time consuming, and demands a lot of care and maintenance to ensure that actions remain significant in developing social media platforms, but it’s crucial for the marketers to give t... [tags: Social media, Social network service, Facebook]
1027 words (2.9 pages)
- Cybercrime and social media are two major global problems that impact society. Today, are more accessible to computers and the Internet than in years prior. Nonetheless, perpetrators attack social media with illegal activity to facilitate their crime. There are different strategies or practices by various countries to combat cybercrime. However, identity theft, cyberbullying and phishing are three major type of cybercrimes which are impacting social networking websites. Many factors play right into the advantage of identity theft through social media.... [tags: Social network service, MySpace, Identity theft]
996 words (2.8 pages)
- Television and social media keep telling us that something is wrong with our bodies. They are not good enough, and we have got to improve them. The way to improve our bodies, of course, is to buy their advertised products. Wigs, hair pieces, hair extensions, padded bras, diet pills and exercise equipment. Although we attempt to shrug off these messages, knowing they are designed to sell products, they get our attention. They penetrate our thinking, helping to shape our image of how we “ought” to look.... [tags: Nutrition, Dieting, Psychiatry, Suicide]
1350 words (3.9 pages)
- Joe Spencer Samantha Davis English 101-2 3 May 2016 Engaging Facebook with Politics In my opinion, it used to be that honest media reporting was sufficient for an individual to evaluate and make informed opinions about how one felt on issues and what candidate most closely represented their core values. It seems that now television news is slanted to a purpose. Facebook and other social media websites may be the reason that individuals know more about politicians than ever. If used correctly, it can spur one to investigate and learn.... [tags: Facebook, Social media, Activism, MySpace]
1052 words (3 pages)
- Needless to say, I LOVE Digital Marketing. Not because it 's how I make my living, but because I believe in its benefits of promoting a business. Whether posting on social media, creating email campaigns or refining your website, there is no quicker and more efficient way to obtain sales leads. Now that marketing has gone digital, we can take advantage of the consistent enhancements to current digital tools as well as the introduction of entirely new applications. This is great as most, if used right, will end up increasing brand awareness which generates new leads translating into higher profits.... [tags: Social network service, Social media, Twitter]
1676 words (4.8 pages)