Sexual assault is such a problem that every two minutes there is another victim of this crime with almost 300,000 cases reported every year. Research by RAINN (Rape Abuse Incest National Network), states that most if not all of the victims are women and that most cases aren’t reported and 98% of rapists won’t even spend one day locked up in jail or prison. The reason so many rape crimes go unreported is because of the negative stigma that can follow the victims, having to relive the trauma through answering the investigator’s intrusive questions and giving testimony in court. When a woman is a victim of sexual assault and wants to press charges after notifying the authorities on her attack she is asked to undergo a rape ki...
... middle of paper ...
...ow about that is not easily acceptable. Please, refrain from hiding the spare key under your front-door welcome mat or a plant pot.
And finally, if you ever find yourself in a situation of being attacked after following all of those precautions use whatever tools you have at your disposal and make sure you know how to use those tools as a weapon. Short of your assailant having a gun there is always a way for you to defend and protect yourself. It is important for women to learn how to defend themselves to the best of their ability. If you want you to buy a gun make sure you first learn how to use one and take safety courses for it and obtain the proper certifications if need be. Learn about and take self-defense classes because no matter how tall, wide, or dangerous your assailant might be, there is always a way to use their own body and movements against them.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Crime has been a substantial problem worldwide since the beginning of mankind. As the population continues to grow the potential for crime has the possibility of rising as well. The types of crimes committed can range from petty theft to the extreme such as murder. Either way these crimes have a perpetrator and a victim of some sort. Which makes no crime a victimless one despite how small or big the action was. I reside in a central Texas city known as Killeen. Killeen is a city that is surrounded by military and nonmilitary families.... [tags: Crime, Criminology, Assault, Police]
785 words (2.2 pages)
- Nylha Hickman Cost of Imprisonment $39 billion, that’s the amount spent on prison in 2012-2013. Not on the baby coming up in the public school system or health care for the veterans of the United States Army, but on prison. In 2012 the NY times did a study showing that the annual average taxpayers in New York City cost very conflicted and most times was $31,286 per inmate. Imprisonment is a topic that is miss understood. Taxpayers are paying for everything as little as the handcuffs these men and women are carrying on their hips, and things as big as the courthouse that they are taken to in order to be sentenced.... [tags: Prison, United States, Tax, Crime]
1088 words (3.1 pages)
- Crime and guns. An issue that has politicians arguing and society getting ready for whatever results that follow. Do Guns cause crime, or are the actual people holding them to be put at blame. Restrictions have been implemented but now the uproar that has many people unstill is the ban of firearms. Taking guns away from common citizens in order to supposedly ensure their safety, one of the other main purposes of the gun control laws is to ensure that guns do not reach the hands of criminals.... [tags: Firearm, Concealed carry in the United States]
1139 words (3.3 pages)
- Imagine a world where robberies can be justified. When a man claims to have been robbed, he is asked a series of questions to justify the legitimacy of the supposed crime. Even if the robbed man names the robber and has proof against said robber, the man who was robbed is never fully believed. “You often give to charity, you probably wanted to be robbed,” he is told. Thus, the robbed man is held responsible for himself being robbed, and the cycle continues with the next victim who says he was robbed.... [tags: Rape, Abuse, Sexual assault, Crimes]
717 words (2 pages)
- Crimes against persons Crimes against the person is also known as personal crimes alludes to an expansive show of criminal offenses which more often than not include direct harm to the person, the danger of substantial damage, or different activities carried out against the will of a single person. Those including real damage incorporate battery, assault and abusive behavior at home. Furthermore, offenses, for example, provocation, seizing, and stalking additionally are considered law violations against the individual.... [tags: Crime, Criminal law, Assault, Crimes]
1540 words (4.4 pages)
- College Rape Incidents There are many women that are raped, but “numbers don’t begin to tell the whole story” (“Rape and Sexual Assault”). Universities can do more to help prevent rape on their campus. Acts like Title IX and Violence Against Women Act can be enforced further more at colleges. Also, the staff and students can help prevent rape from happening; especially coaches and leaders of fraternities can inform athletes and fraternity brothers about rape because they are usually the perpetrators in rape situations.... [tags: Rape, Sexual intercourse, War rape]
2012 words (5.7 pages)
- Sexual assault and rape are terrifying, violent crimes and represent a serious problem in society. Edwards, Turchik, Dardis, Reynolds, and Gidycz (2011) reported that up to 25% of US women will experience completed or attempted rape in their lifetimes. Aronowitz, Lambert, and Davidoff (2012) state the most vulnerable population is women between the ages of 16-24 and 25 out of 100 women will report being raped during their college years. Miller (2014) reports 67% of victims know their perpetrators while only 24% attackers are strangers.... [tags: Rape, Sexual intercourse, Violence]
2389 words (6.8 pages)
- As I searched the address of my home, I encountered several crime reports that I was unaware of. It is shocking to see how many crimes have been committed in less than a year. Not only am I surprise by the amount of crimes, but by the fact that they are so close to home. It is crazy how only some areas are shown in the news, but how come I never heard of crimes around my neighborhood. It is obvious to see how crimes are only shown in the news when they are in a violent area such as the city of Baltimore.... [tags: Theft, Crime, Crimes, Violence]
1035 words (3 pages)
- Sex crimes include acts considered as either sexual abuse, or a non-tolerable behavior considered inappropriate to social norms. The law forbids certain sexual acts, despite expressed consent from both parties. Sex laws vary from region to region, and may evolve over time. Furthermore, sexual acts forbidden by law in a proscribed jurisdiction are coined as sex crimes. Rape Rape, or forcible sexual intercourse without consent from both parties, may involve physical violence, threats, and verbal abuse to intimidate and violate one person's body.... [tags: Rape, Child Abuse, Human Trafficking ]
2225 words (6.4 pages)
- Date Rape Every two minutes, somewhere in the world, someone is sexually assaulted. Of these approximately 248,000 victims, about 87,000 were victims of completed rape, and 70,000 were victims of sexual assault. Up to 4,315 pregnancies may have resulted from these attacks. Calculations based on the (National Crime Victimization Survey). Rape is often misunderstood. For one reason rapist are usually portrayed as a stranger, his motivation is entirely sexual, and the victim is always a young and sexy female.... [tags: Rape Sexual Assault Crimes Essays]
857 words (2.4 pages)