Bill Gates was born on October 28th, 1995 in Seattle, Washington. He attended Harvard University in the years 1973-1975. Gates has a family of his own; he is married to Melinda French and they have three children together. William Henry Gates II who is an attorney and Mary Maxwell who is a teacher are the parents of Bill Gates. In 1975 he cofounded the Microsoft Corporation, built his software company into one of the most successful businesses in the world, and established himself in the process as one of the world’s wealthiest men. Although Gates started Microsoft as a small business based on a single innovative software program that he had helped to develop, his business acumen were his real genesis. Because he was a long-time CEO of Microsoft, he was able to borrow and integrate other computer programmers’ innovations and sell them to a new and expanding home computer market. Ten years after Microsoft was founded (1985), the computer market had $140 million in revenue, which grew to $28 billion by 2002. As one of the pioneers of home computing, Gates proved himself to be a technological visionary and software applications guru.
Bill Gates grew up in a blooming area of Seattle, Washington, with his parents and two sisters. Gates dad was a lawyer and his mom was schoolteacher, so he attended a public grade school and then Lakeside School, which was a private college preparatory institution. Gates was attending Lakeside when he first became interested in the field of computer programming. He met a friend while at Lakeside which ironically became his future business partner. Bill Gates and his friend, Paul Allen developed their first software program at thirteen. They became interested in the machines L...
... middle of paper ...
...teve Jobs had very distinct work styles. Bill Gates did not want to waste any time. He worked during the summers and hardly took any vacations. If the work wasn’t completed like he wanted it to be completed, then he would fire you. Whereas, Steve Jobs was very relaxed. He wanted to hold onto his employees rather than drive them away.
Along with their different work styles, they had big achievements that were different. Bill Gates first achievement was the development of a programming language called BASIC for the Altair computer, which is the first commercially successful personal computer. As for Steve Jobs, his first achievement was Apple II which was the most popular and best-selling personal computer of its time. The difference in their first achievements was because Microsoft’s first development was software whereas Apple’s first big achievement was hardware.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Introduction to Bill Gates Bill Gates was born on October 28th, 1995 in Seattle, Washington. He attended Harvard University in the years 1973-1975. Gates has a family of his own; he is married to Melinda French and they have three children together. William Henry Gates II who is an attorney and Mary Maxwell who is a teacher are the parents of Bill Gates. In 1975 he cofounded the Microsoft Corporation, built his software company into one of the most successful businesses in the world, and established himself in the process as one of the world’s wealthiest men.... [tags: multibillionaires that changed the world]
1896 words (5.4 pages)
- Bill Gates was born on October 28, 1955 in Seattle, Washington. His full name is William Henry Bill Gates. Bill was known for his for inspiration and success. Through out his life he had different things going on. Bill Gates family is known for high quality wealth. Bill showed his brilliance earlier in life, so his mother and father put him in a private school in Seattle. He would spend hours in the computer room at the high school because he loved it. After the years have passed, he was getting good at computers and loved them.... [tags: Microsoft creator, famous billionaires]
519 words (1.5 pages)
- When people think of a hero they think of Superman, Batman, or Spiderman, but what they should think of are people that make difference. Bill Gates has made a huge difference in today’s world; he is an extremely successful entrepreneur, an active philanthropist, and a very motivated person in general. With this motivation he has and will accomplish anything he puts his mind to. He was CEO of Microsoft and became the richest man in the world. He also created one of the most credible and generous charitable organization in the world.... [tags: Biography, Bill Gates]
1372 words (3.9 pages)
- What is a hero. Do they put the bad guys in jail and make the community a better place. There are many ways to define what a hero is and who is worthy to be called a hero. Bill Gates is an international hero. Son of a successful lawyer, and whose mother was a businesswoman, expectations for Bill were surely high. Since the age of 13 he created several programs some that included hacking his school’s computer system, and some for his school, which included one that was able to collect every teacher’s attendance.... [tags: Bill Gates, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation]
1091 words (3.1 pages)
- The American dream to many is the social climb of classes and accumulation of wealth. For some it is just maybe getting their dream job or getting into their number one college. Everyone has dreams of what they want to be or do when they are older. Many have no clue if they are making the right decision, but some are so determined that nothing could get into their way. Some people just have dreams of doing something they enjoy but never really imagine it going that far. All major companies started off as ideas that someone had and decided to make it into a reality.... [tags: Bill Gates, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation]
1683 words (4.8 pages)
- In the United States, public schools have financial difficulties. They are also impacted by reducing enrolments and cuts in local, state and federal funding, which the result is eliminating the programs such as music, art, and physical education. Therefore, some corporation and individual donors start to help the public schools to prevent them shutting down. Bill and Melinda Gates, Eli Broad, and Walter Annenberg are the funders which donate millions of dollars to the public school in order to improve public education.... [tags: Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Bill Gates]
1687 words (4.8 pages)
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation – A Tradition of Giving Both the Gates and French families instilled the values of volunteerism and civic engagement. Our families believed that if life happens to bless you, you should use those gifts as well and as wisely as you can. ¬– Bill and Melinda Gates In 2000, the founder of Microsoft, Bill Gates, and his wife, Melinda French Gates, founded the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation also known as the Gates Foundation. The Gates Foundation has a diverse global presence with its headquarters in Seattle, Washington and other offices in India, China, Europe, Middle East, and several regions in Africa (Foundation fact sheet, 2015, para.... [tags: Bill Gates, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation]
1114 words (3.2 pages)
- Bill Gates Leader Report My favorite leader is William Henry Gates III, or Bill Gates to most people. Bill Gates is a computer engineer and world-class entrepreneur. He founded Microsoft Corporation in 1975 with a high school friend named Paul Allen. The leadership role that he serves is chairman and chief software architect of Microsoft Corporation. Up until 1998, Gates was CEO of the company, but he relieved himself of those duties, and currently is only a software architect and serves on the Microsoft committee.... [tags: Bill Gates]
1327 words (3.8 pages)
- Bill Gates William Henry Gates, also known as “Bill”, has established himself as the richest man in the world. He is the youngest self made billionaire, and perhaps the best businessman in the world. As you read along, you will learn what Bill Gates’ accomplishments were, what his beliefs were, and why this topic is so important. Bill Gates is important because not only did he change the computer technology in America, he also became the biggest, strongest, richest and the most powerful company in the world.... [tags: Biography Biographies Gates Essays]
857 words (2.4 pages)
- Bill Gates Bill Gates, cofounder of the Microsoft corporation, holds 30.7 percent of its stock making him one of the richest people in the United States. He was the marketing and sales strategist behind many of Microsoft's software deals. Their software became the industry standard in the early 1980s and has just increased in distribution as the company has grown, so much that the Federal government is suggesting that Microsoft has violated Sherman and Clayton antitrust acts. Bill Gates' first interest in computers began at Lakeside, a private school in Seattle that Gates attended.... [tags: William H. Gates III Biography Essays]
1642 words (4.7 pages)